[IPython-dev] Fwd: Multi-line history problems in ipython (mac osx)

Boyd Waters bwaters@nrao....
Wed Jan 16 18:58:59 CST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 4:37 PM, Michael VanLandingham wrote:

> So what I mean is that, in iPython, if I enter in anything that
> spans more than one line, such as a function definition.  Say it's
> this:
>
> def dog():
>    print 'bark'
>
> and then I want to edit that (e.g. because what I really want is for
> dog() to print 'woof'). So I hit the up-arrow key to insert the
> previous history entry into the current line.  But when I do the
> terminal formatting becomes corrupted - for example, the cursor is
> out in the middle of the row, and so on.  It makes editing almost
> impossible.
>
> I think there was a better example in my original post.  It's easier
> to show than to explain, but you'd know it if you saw it.  It
> happens with stock Leopard & current iPython.

Oh. right.

that's a termcap issue.

comments at this blog entry
http://www.osxautomation.com/2007/10/26/ipython-tab-completion-fix-on-leopard/

report the same problem.

I ran across another place recently where they were having that
trouble.... hmm... I can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

Regarding <rdar://problem/5563035>, I suppose I should update that -
I'm no longer getting duplicate completions.

I haven't tried to reproduce the ipython crasher (binding TAB key to
unknown function causes segfault in IPython but not "stock" Python).

   - boyd

Boyd Waters
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~bwaters