[IPython-dev] Development plans update

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jan 30 11:16:52 CST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 2:41 AM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:

> > Comments on hg-based workflows are welcome.
>
> When we switched to hg in sympy, we also started to review every
> single patch. So my workflow is:
>
> "hg email -ao" this will send my patches into sympy-patches
> mailinglist. People will review it there, point out weaknesses, etc. I
> rewrite it, fix it. When it's polished, only then I'll push it in.
>
> With svn, this would be pain, because the trunk (=our official hg
> repo) evolves all the time, and so my patches will soon become old.
> With hg, I simply create a new clone of the repo for every new feature
> I work on (right now I have around 10 clones for example) and I leave
> my patches in there until they are approved. And I merge with the
> official branch (hg makes this quite easy) in the meantime.
>
> Comments on this are welcome.

Thanks for this feedback: I certainly would love to see us adopting a
workflow with regular reviews.  I'm glad to hear that you find hg
makes this natural and painless, since I think that regular patch
reviewing is something that will greatly increase the quality of the
code.

I do have some questions:

- with major restructuring and writing wholesale new code, it seems
that waiting for reviews on everything might become a burden.  Does
sympy have enough active developers that this is never an issue for
you?  Do you always find someone to review a patch quickly?

- how do you deal with running from say 10 parallel repos day to day?
Do you keep changing symlinks to point to the active one, or do you
use setuptools 'develop' magic?