[IPython-dev] [IPython-user] Development plans update

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jan 30 11:18:33 CST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 7:25 AM, Walter Dörwald <walter@livinglogic.de> wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to drop a quick update on the current plans, as well as
> > propose a few specific steps to take from here on.  It was great to
> > hear so much enthusiasm coming from different corners, so it's obvious
> > that we must now make good use of such 'capital', lest we lose it to
> > other projects :)
> >
> > - First, an update on the HG situation: Ryan Earl, from Enthought, has
> > kindly agreed to help up set up hg on their servers, with a likely
> > timeline of mid- to late-February.  In the meantime we'll continue
> > operating on our existing SVN, but I'm sure it will be very handy to
> > have hg once we start making deeper changes and keeping more parallel
> > lines of development running.
>  >
> > [...]
> >
> > Comments on hg-based workflows are welcome.
>
> So will the hg repository start with a fresh history or will we do a hg
> convert?

Definitely convert.  I don't want to lose the history (we have it
since CVS from the early days, since that was imported into SVN with
full history).

> Porting ipipe/ibrowse to ipython1 would be simple, once we have a
> display hook extension mechanism. Except for the hook that invokes the
> display object, there are no other dependencies.

Good.

> I especially liked the generic function generics.result_display(), but
> it seems ipython1 uses a different tool for that:
> http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/browser/ipython1/trunk/ipython1/core/display_trap.py
>
> Is there any chance of porting generics.result_display() to ipython1?

Certainly.  This is precisely why I want to have everyone who knows
the trunk codebase looking over this, so we don't miss anything
important/good from the trunk in the transition.