[IPython-dev] [IPython-user] Development plans update

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Jan 31 01:27:33 CST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 12:46 PM, Barry Wark <barrywark@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm very interested in helping with a Cocoa frontend. It looks like

Great!

> ipython/frontend/IPReadline is soon to become my friend. A quick
> related question: ipython1.frontend.PendingResult looks like it could
> be a twisted.internet.Deferred. Is there a reason not to use Twisted
> for this? There's already Twisted integration with all the GUI
> toolkits that folks have mentioned (Qt, Wx, GTK, Cocoa). Perhaps a
> switch to the IPReadline constructor that sets things up to use
> synchronous (for e.g. terminal use) or Twisted InterpreterResults.

This is something we'll want to think about: we certainly want to have
a terminal-only core implementation that does NOT depend on twisted at
all.  Twisted isn't small, and it has C code in it.  Just as much as
we hesitate to depend on Traits for the core, this would be an issue.
For true network functionality, obviously we use it, but I'd like to
keep a small lightweight core that can be used without twisted.  So
far we've been able to provide pretty decent GUI support without it
(via manual threading tricks), so we might be able to continue doing
so.

But certainly such implementation specifics are the things we'll have
to work on over the next few weeks.