[IPython-dev] iPipe and Hotwire Shell

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Jan 31 01:32:17 CST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 8:40 PM, Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:
> [originally sent with wrong From:]
>
> Hi,
>
> Recently I came across IPipe
> (http://ipython.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/UsingIPipe), and
> noticed a lot of similarity with the HotwirePipe language:
> http://code.google.com/p/hotwire-shell/wiki/HotwireArchitecture

Neat!  As you may have noticed (I'm not sure when you subscribed)
we're talking about making our codebase much more modular so that it's
easier to get reuse of the core ipython functionality in different
contexts.

I won't say much about ipipe, since Walter is our resident expert on
the matter, I just wanted to welcome you and your enthusiasm to the
list.  It would be great to see good collaborations between the two
projects.

One comment: your code is GPL while IPython is BSD, so we'd be unable
to use any of hotwire's functionality in ipython at all.  I don't know
if you'd be willing to consider relicensing code, at least the parts
meant for mutual use.