[IPython-dev] Using pyreadline by default

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jul 8 04:39:55 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 2:31 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I mentioned earlier, I am not fond of the pager in readline, and
> would like to migrate towards pyreadline, in which I can implement my
> own.
>
> It looks like the choice between pyreadline and readline is hard-coded
> on a platform-by-platform basis in rlineimpl.py.  It would be useful
> if we had a configuration variable which allowed the user to make that
> choice.  If you are amenable to this idea, I'll write a patch.

As Jorgen mentioned, the problem is that pyreadline currently only
implements the full line-handling functionality you'd want under win32
(by accessing the console APIs).  Under osx/linux, you'd be stuck
without any actual line handling support, unless I'm not understanding
what you are trying to do.

By the way, isn't it easier for what you want to just define your own
$PAGER environment variable?  You can even do it for ipython only by
making the change in your config file.

We'd certainly love to see pyreadline grow further, as we've been
recently discussing.  But I have the impression that what you're
talking about is a lot of work, not just a small patch (and likely to
require extensive testing on multiple platforms/terminals).  Or else I
totally misunderstood what you're talking about.