[IPython-dev] Getting rid of "print" in ipython

Edward K. Ream edreamleo@gmail....
Wed Jul 9 05:58:34 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > IPython source code is riddled with direct calls to print statement.
> > Obviously, we should get rid of them.
>
> Yup.
>
> > What's the exact plan for this? For the time being, we could get rid
> > of them by introducing a global function for this (that initially just
> > does normal "print", and add proper output handling later.

Does anyone know of a way to define the global function in a straightforward
way?  There appears to be no way to use 'print' in that function that will
work on both Python 2.x and Python 3.x.  My working assumption is that in
order to preserve a common code base the function will have to use something
like sys.stdout.

Edward
Edward K. Ream email: edreamleo@gmail.com