[IPython-dev] IPython issues in Sage

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jul 16 01:31:26 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Mike Hansen <mhansen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, and still is. IPython and depends on it to run at all. Perhaps
>> you are looking in a wrong namespace dict?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "looking in a wrong namespace dict".
> There was code that used the _ip variable that was working fine with
> IPython 0.8.2, but when I upgraded to 0.8.4, it gives me a NameError.

Ville's explanation is correct, I'll just give you a tiny bit of
detail to clarify things further: ipython executes all user code in a
special dict called user_ns.  It *used* to also populate the builtin
namespace with a few things, but we're trying to move away as much as
possible from this, because having system-wide globals causes all
kinds of other problems.

Sorry if this one bit you, since it was an API change, but it was for the best.

Let us know if Ville's other suggestions don't fully solve your problem.