[IPython-dev] ipython1 and synchronous printing of stdout

Sun Jul 20 14:27:02 CDT 2008

> I can off course monkey patch the output_trap with my own write method,
> but this seems a bit ugly. What do the ipython1 developpers think the
> right way of doing this (and maybe modifying output_trap) is?

I went ahead experimenting, and created a subclass of output_trap gear
towards printing via a callback, as can be seen on
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~gael-varoquaux/ipython/ipython-sync-frontend/annotate/1041?file_id=sync_output_trap.py-20080720174256-b1fz1ebbxl2ka4t9-1

I hope this approach is OK. By passing this this output_trap to the
interpreter I get the desired result, and I sync this approach is
reusable for any synchronous frontend, such as the one into which
ipython0 will, hopefully, morph one day.

Gaël