[IPython-dev] Quick launchpad guide for would-be contributors

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jun 3 15:22:21 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> Except, I am not sure that having casual users contribute to the docs
> without any review is a good idea.  In fact, with no review, there is
> the possibility that wiki spam could make it into our docs in a major
> release.  Also, even when you know rst+Sphinx it is easy to mess up
> links, etc.  I would like to move gradually towards code review (but
> not a formal process, I am thinking of people simply reviewing each
> others branches before a merge) and a direct wiki->trunk connection is
> a move in the opposite direction.  Here is what I have been thinking
> of:

Ah, but that's the killer feature of the above system: the user
contributions do NOT go into the core without prior review.  The
Turbogears backend behind that site generates a patch per contribution
that goes into a private branch of numpy.  Periodically (I think
Stefan is doing it once or twice a week) those patches get applied or
discarded and the site re-synced.  There are tools on the site for
other editors to review, comment, etc.

So I honestly think that system gives us the best of both worlds:
trivial for users to contribute, impossible for junk to contaminate
the core.  The only problem is that the system isn't currently set up
to do the rst docs, only docstrings, and I'm too busy to talk to
Stefan, Pauli and Emanuelle about generalizing it a bit.  I think we
should focus on our code merge right now.  But a bit later in the
summer I think this is really worth looking into.

> I think this sounds great.  I volunteer to get the docs
> (IPython+ipython1) in shape if you can setup the cron job afterwards.

Will do.  Thanks for kicking in!