[IPython-dev] automatic cpaste

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Jun 4 01:05:12 CDT 2008

2008/1/30 Ken Schutte <kschutte@csail.mit.edu>:

> I'm not sure if you'd want to add this patch because of this dependency, but
> it should be backward compatible as is. (or is there a better way to get the
> clipbard contents?)

This is not ok "directly", but will be with a bit of tweaking:

- Add "get_clipboard" to platutils.py and platutils_posix.py (it
should be easy), and an empty stub for windows.

- I will add the windows implementation later on.

> This is maybe a slight improvement for me, but I'd love something where I
> can truly do a simple paste with the mouse and everything is done
> automatically.  I guess this is basically not possible within ipython?

It's possible, but does a different thing.

cpaste executes standard python code that is pasted - pasting to
ipython prompt does ipython input translation, and may have problems
with empty lines.

> I usually use ipython within a Konsole window, so the only other thing I can
> think of is to figure out if you can easily do something there to make this
> happen, e.g. intercept a mouse paste, and instead paste in the text
> "cpaste\n"+$clipboard+"\n--\n".

This does sound like functionality that will have to reside in the GUI
frontends.