[IPython-dev] bzr - what am I doing wrong?

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Jun 4 10:44:04 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> But then how are those 'long lived' feature branches different?  If we
> do merge into them, we're back to the history folding problem, no?  If
> we don't merge into them, they diverge...

There is no history folding problem if you merge to trunk, then push
trunk (as opposed to merging to your feature branch and then pushing
it over the trunk).

> about the history.  Having to make a distinction between long and
> short lived branches in terms of workflow for this point sounds weird.

The point is that you should not merge "by habit", as in "I must
always merge to myself before I publish changes". It only complicates
the history, without helping anybody... and is just a habit acquired
by having to do "svn up" before checkin.

> their own.  But I don't want to be constrained to that being the only
> way to merge into trunk, that does feel unduly limiting...

Yes, of course if you think you want/need to do it, by all means do
it. It's just good to know you don't have to do it because "it's a
good process" or anything like that.