[IPython-dev] bzr - what am I doing wrong?

David Cournapeau cournapeau@cslab.kecl.ntt.co...
Wed Jun 4 21:45:33 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 07:53 -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:

> Ah, OK.  I got confused by the post that said that 'merge --pull' was
> the way to 'fast forward' the history, and was using that.

You should avoid using this with bzr. I think using it comes from people
used to git, and it does not work well with bzr (it leads to those
problems you are having with history "folding"). You may like the git's
way better, but forcing bzr in git mode is bad. It is like using vim
mode in emacs. Possible, but weird.

About pull vs merge:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2007q1/023972.html

This is important to understand well to avoid the problem you got, I
think. I find the article you posted typical of someone used to git and
do not understand why bzr is different. FWIW, you can get git's log with
the --short/--line option (as mentioned above, bzr --short --forward is
nice, it is the default on my computer too).

About bzr vs other tools, I think it is easy to see problems when using
one program, and not seeing the ones brought by another, not used yet,
one. Using git effectively wrt history is not trivial either, there
would have been the same kind of discussion I believe (on different
points, obviously: but rebase is not so easy to understand either). I
really believe bzr has its advantages here (as well as its problems too,
obviously).

Hope the above helps,

David