[IPython-dev] bzr - what am I doing wrong?

David Cournapeau cournapeau@cslab.kecl.ntt.co...
Wed Jun 4 21:59:38 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 14:04 -0600, Brian Granger wrote:
> So....
>
> I have a branch of ipython1-dev (ipython1-fc) that I want to merge
> back into ipython1-dev.  Previously, I had been doing a simple push
> from my local ipython1-fc to ipython1-dev.  But, what is the best way
> (after all this discussion) of doing the merge that will get the
> history right?

The easy way I think it to always keep a mirror of the branch you intend
to commit to (ipython1-dev here):

bzr branch lp:ipython1-dev
bzr branch ipython1-dev mybranch
# Hack into mybranch

When you feel like publishing your changes:

cd ipython-dev
bzr pull (to be up-to-date)
bzr merge ../mybranch
bzr ci -m "Summary of the merged branch work"

Then, you avoid this folding issue I believe: you keep the mainline as a
reference, and do your work in another branch.

David