[IPython-dev] Bzr merge idiosyncracies...

David Cournapeau cournapeau@cslab.kecl.ntt.co...
Thu Jun 5 00:27:48 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 19:01 -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:

> I can't believe that this is actually something that bazaar considers
> a 'feature' and they promote as a valid design point.  The fact that
> you've merged someone else's work into your branch because you happen
> to be a maintainer, for example, doesn't make their work in any way
> 'second class'.  I agree 100% percent with Linus here (post linked to
> in the vcscompare post):
>
> http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/archives/git/0611/31361.html

To see a good explanation why it is a design feature of bzr, you can
follow this discussion:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2008q1/039144.html

Again, both POV are definitely valid, and have their strong
points/weaknesses. But bzr's workflow here has *some* advantages, and
the above definitely *is* a feature. I am not saying it is important for
ipython, I don't know honestly; if people run things from "trunk", it
may be. I can definitely see this as a good feature in numpy, where many
people do build from trunk I believe.

> I await enlightenment...

I hope it explains why bzr is the way it is at least. Maybe it was not
the best choice for ipython, I honestly don't know; git speed and
toolbox design is really nice for a unix-inclined guy like me. But the
point is that any DVCS is really much better than svn. I can't wait to
ditch svn for other projects linked to ipython :)

cheers,

David