[IPython-dev] First merge of ipython1 -> IPython is completed!

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Mon Jun 9 15:10:36 CDT 2008

Hello all,

I have just merged the ipython-ipython1a branch into ipython trunk.
This means that most of the stable stuff from ipython1 is now in
IPython.  This includes the following new subpackages:

IPython.kernel
IPython.kernel.core
IPython.config
IPython.tools

The biggest change though is that I have refectored the setup.py
script.  Because these new subpackages have lots of other
dependencies, we needed a nice way of handling these things.  Here is
a skech of how it is being handled:

1.  If setuptools is being used, we declare optional requires for the
additional deps

2.  If setuptools is not being used, we check for the deps manually
and simple tell the user what was found and what is required for what
features.

While this will likely take some find tuning, it is a start.

PLEASE, try out the new setup.py in trunk on various platforms and in
various situations.  We need to test this well as it is a huge change.

But, the bottom line is that IPython trunk now has full parallel
computing capabilities.  I will also announce on IPython-users

Next stop: documentation merge!!!