[IPython-dev] ipython1 -> IPython documentation merge about to begin

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Jun 9 20:26:29 CDT 2008

Hey Brian

2008/6/10 Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I wanted to let all the devs know that I am about to do a major
>> reorganization of the IPython documentation.  Part of this will be to
>> merge in the ipython1 documentation.  Because of this, I would ask
>> that people stay clear of the doc directory in trunk for a few days.
>> If you have changes in the docs that need to happen please wait for a
>> few days.  Feel free to ask me questions if needed.
>
> Go for it.  While I'm offline for the rest of the week, I'll work on a
> private branch purely on automatic testing for the old code.  So no
> chance of conflicts.

I merged the sconfig branch into ipython1b.  The tests aren't run
automatically at the moment, so do:

nosetests -v --with-doctest --doctest-tests IPython.config

to make sure everything is OK.

I wrote a first implementation of round-tripping, so a person can now:

a) Instantiate a new configuration
b) Update the configuration from a file
c) Modify the configuration
d) Dump the configuration back to file

The file writing is done using ConfigObj.  The one thing I haven't
tried yet is to write back to the same file I read from (to see
whether comments and structure are preserved).

Regards
Stéfan