[IPython-dev] pyreadline refactoring

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson@bostream...
Thu Jun 26 12:37:18 CDT 2008

Barry Wark skrev:

> Wow, this is an exciting move in view of the plans to separate
> ipython0's core from the terminal/readline. I am still learning about
> pyreadline, but your description above makes me think that you, me,
> and Gaël should think about using the new (refactored) pyreadline in
> developing a base class for front ends that are based on a
> line-oriented interface (i.e. mimicking the terminal interface).
>
> Barry

I'm happy to hear you would like to help out. Attached is a mockup of a
gui calling readline, does this approach seem reasonable to you as a
starting point.

I'm inexperienced in building guis so I would appreciate some help in
improving the eventhandler to translate keyevents to a KeyEvent object.
At a first glance at the event handling in Tk it seems it requires some
work to get the control, shift, meta modifiers that were used for a
certain keypress. So right now this example needs improvement so we can
handle those modifiers. This is where I would appreciate to get some
assistance, I would prefer to have such an example in Tk or Wx since
those are the systems I use the most.

It would also be nice to able to draw the cursor and also to mark a text
selection as well.

best regards,
Jörgen