[IPython-dev] Twisted reactor + IPython0

Laurent Dufréchou laurent.dufrechou@gmail....
Thu Mar 20 03:13:56 CDT 2008

Hi all,

Just to drop some more need on threading.
I've written a little piece of code to create a WX Ipython shell.
I've used for this a thread with an ipython0 instance and communicate with
the gui via polling (the first version) and now I'm starting to use
callback.
One big need I have and that cannot be resolved easily is to ba able to have
some sort of Ipython instance with GUI loop support + twisted support.
The idea:

Any WXAPP/QTApp   <-- XML RPC --> The twisted loop + Any GUI(QT/WX...) loop
+ Ipython server.

With XML RPC you can just make any action inside Ipython instance.
I want this to be able to make a WX(and QT) console able to launch any QT/Wx
windows and thus independent to the Console App.

With this you can have a really really good dev env for graphical app.
Moreover designing such a server will be raally good for people who want an
ipython console, because with this all the wx/QT/... console code will share
the same ipython object that will save lot of work.

Glenn, perhaps my idea is stupid, but do you thing we will have a lot of
performance related problem with this, do you see any issue as you've worked
a little on something like this??
Perhaps it is a too big thing for a simple Ipython console...

Laurent