[IPython-dev] IPython winpdb interface

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Mon Mar 24 04:14:57 CDT 2008

[CC-ing to ipython-dev, about adding winpdb support to IPython]

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Nir <nir@winpdb.org> wrote:

>  Lets start with solving your initial scenario.
>  Can you describe how is such an ipython session supposed to look like?

If you now execute

%run -d test.py

IPython now sets the breakpoint at start of test.py and launches it in
pdb, running the test.py in ipython process.

I'd like to add a new magic command %wpdb (in an extension, say
ipy_winpdb), so you can do

%wpdb test.py

which will do the same thing, i.e. launch test.py in the ipython
process, with rpdb2 breakpoint at start of the script. The rpdb2
should only be started once in the IPython process.

Likewise, if the ipy_winpdb extension is loaded and post-mortem
debugging is enabled, hitting an exception would break rpdb2 at the
exception.

All of this is pretty easy in ipython side, we only need  API support
in rpdb2 module to create a breakpoint at first valid position in a
file on file system.