[IPython-dev] pyreadline

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson@bostream...
Wed Mar 26 13:09:26 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I have been thinking about the future of pyreadline considering the work
  on ipython1.

  * ANSI color escapes. In trunk ansi color escapes are used to handle
color in prompts. This is convenient(for the programmer) when the
terminal understands these escapes. But on windows this is not the case,
I imagine a few of the guis proposed for ipython1 would also have
trouble with them. In pyreadline we have code for parsing this. So it
would probably make sense to have this functionality available for
ipython1 as well. From a users point of view I think we should consider
figuring out a way that is easier to understand and expand for the
future. We could include ways to use boldface, italics, underline etc.

  * I know Gael is looking into using pyreadline for some gui interface
this means there will be even more dependency of ipython on pyreadline.
Perhaps this even means we should add pyreadline to ipython1.

  * Completions. Parts of the tab-completion code in ipython could
probably be made to work in pyreadline directly making it useful at a
normal pythonprompt as well.

There is a ton of work I would like to do in cleaning up the codebase
and improving the test coverage. Going with nose here just as in ipython
makes sense. Converting the documentation to rest format using sphinx
looks like a good idea as well.

Jörgen