[IPython-dev] ipython -twisted

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Fri May 30 01:49:28 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd really like to hear from Brian and Yi, if you have a chance, since
> both of you know Twisted about 100 times better than me.  But my
> inclination right now is to quickly put out an 0.8.4 release that
> disables that code completely.  We don't need anything drastic, just

The problem probably is that it does not explicitly install a reactor
(qt / gtk) - which does not seem to be a requirement on windows.

> to  ignore the -twisted flag completely until  someone comes back and
> can produce that code in an implementation that works on all known
> platforms, with some measure of confidence.

It should not be too problematic - I guess we should release a fully
fixed version if I can do it, not a "disabled" version.

> We have a tradition of shipping code that actually works with ipython,
> let's do our best to keep it that way.  IPython0 may have a messy
> architecture and no unit tests, which is why it moves so slowly.  But

New features are not guaranteed to work in a trustworthy fashion -
they need to receive *some* field testing before they can be trusted.
Also, there are many features that are not widely used that can remain
in a broken state for a long time (e.g. macros in threaded shells).

I guess the "problem" is that the user base is rather conservative in
their IPython usage patterns, so broken areas are not detected quickly
enough. It's a mixed blessing.