[IPython-dev] Rethinking the gui (and qt ui)

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Nov 5 11:47:01 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:

> At some point, we may even play with the idea of "ipython lite"
> branch, where terminal/readline/autoindent/partial statement
> complexity is factored away (but which requires a gui).

Interestingly, this allows trivial frontend / backend separtion:
command blocks go to core (some of which are "invisible", e.g.
completion requests), stream of text (that is converted to html and
shown in frontend output area) comes back.

It may even be possible to connect to a server running ipython via
plain ssh - that is, we connect to server via ssh (initiated by
frontend, using an ssh lib), launch ipython in "backend" mode (I'm not
yet sure whether it needs to be a separate mode) on the server, and
interact away.

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio