[IPython-dev] html-based ipython output & QTextEdit

Barry Wark barrywark@gmail....
Thu Oct 16 10:46:14 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm planning a pyqt frontend for IPython. Yeah, I've been doing that
> for a while but I finally had some time, and am actually participating
> on the development of the new, glorious pyqt version of Leo :-)

That's awesome!

> I thought I could do it with scintilla (like the current wx
> frontends), but then I figured using QTextEdit/QTextBrowser would be
> even cooler. I could write the whole output using html, translating
> the ansi codes to html.

One of the goals of the frontend work that Gael and I have started is
to make new front ends easier to write. I suspect that an HTML
frontend would be pretty straight forward. If we can keep the Qt stuff
separate from the HTML stuff, we'd have a nice web frontend for
IPython as a bonus. As with others, I'm a bit swamped at work right
now and haven't been able to get into the frontend code since Gael
finished working on the Wx frontend. I need to clean up some of the
test code for the asyncrhonous frontend module but it's otherwise
hackable for a new Qt/HTML frontend. Feel free to drop me a note if
you would like to discuss strategy.