[IPython-dev] cleaning up frontend tests

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Wed Oct 29 18:19:25 CDT 2008

Barry,

> I'm (finally!) getting around to cleaning up the frontend package
> tests. The changes are in lp:~barrywark/ipython/ipython-frontend.
> Launchpad.net's website  doesn't seem to have picked up the branch
> yet, so I can't formally mark it for review. If someone wants to give
> it a review, we can get the tests back into trunk.

Hmm, has this showed up on launchpad yet?

> Is there any writeup of the IPython test system? I'm using "nosetests
> IPython/frontend " to run the tests since I couldn't remember how the
> IPython test system works, and my normal memory system (Google) is
> failing me.

If you have nose installed, you can run the test suite using the
iptest command line program.  This is a new script that is installed
with IPython that runs nose with all the right flags and plugins
loaded.  In terms of how to write test tests for the frontend, I
would:

* Look how we handle deferreds in existing tests in kernel.

* Read some of the previous threads we had about this topic.

As always, please feel free to ask questions or let me know if you
want me to look at things.