[IPython-dev] [Branch ~ipython-dev/ipython/trunk] Rev 1129: added ipy_gmail extension

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Tue Sep 2 04:44:05 CDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>wrote:

> Recently, Vivian's extensions were reviewed, she added docs for them,
> etc.  Once  that code goes in, we ultimately all have to answer for
> it, or clean up the breakage later.

I would split the maintenance responsibility to 2 parts

- The parts that actually are in the core
- The parts that are in ipy_* files, under Extensions.

> It is simply not acceptable for the project to start carrying in its
> core code that's randomly broken at any given time.  If you have test
> snippets of that sort, that's what the cookbook is for: a publicly
> contributed area where neat ideas can go, but which haven't been
> vetted.

I still believe it's a matter af agreement what is in the core - the
original idea is that the stuff in ipy_* is *not* in the core, but clearly
it's not obvious enough so the physical location should be changed.

I don't mind removing the recently added extensions (ipy_miscapps and
ipy_gmail) from the Extensions folder though - their idea is not to be in
the core in any way. They will be available post-0.9, after running an
"%get_extensions" magic command or somesuch (exact implementation to be
decided). Maybe it'll just be "easy_install ipython_extensions", which would
kinda make sense.