[IPython-dev] Do we have an get_ipython_dir

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Wed Sep 3 16:13:11 CDT 2008

The reason that I ask is that we have get_home_dir repeated twice:

genutils.py
IPython/config/cutils.py

I want to get rid of one of these.  IPython/config/cutils.py also has
an get_ipython_dir.py, but I don't think this is the right place for
this.

Also pulling the value from IP won't work in my case because I need it
for the controller and engines, which (for now) don't have a full IP
instance.

Is this the right logic from ipmaker.py:

    # Platform-dependent suffix and directory names.  We use _ipython instead
    # of .ipython under win32 b/c there's software that breaks with .named
    # directories on that platform.
    if os.name == 'posix':
        rc_suffix = ''
        ipdir_def = '.ipython'
    else:
        rc_suffix = '.ini'
        ipdir_def = '_ipython'

    # default directory for configuration
    ipythondir_def = os.path.abspath(os.environ.get('IPYTHONDIR',
                                 os.path.join(IP.home_dir,ipdir_def)))

If so, I will make a get_ipython_dir function in genutils and remove
the cruft from config/cutils.py