[IPython-dev] Another shell: pyglet!

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Apr 3 12:47:15 CDT 2009

Hey folks,

Great timing with the other Blender thread...  I've just been
interacting with Nicolas Rougier, the author of this cool little
thing:

http://www.loria.fr/~rougier/glnumpy.html

It's beautiful and fast.  Nicolas is using a lot of ipython internals,
the kind of thing that is likely to break as our APIs evolve and we
develop a stable public one.  So it would be a lot easier if we were
to ship this together with ipython, maintain it with the rest of the
frontends, etc.  I think it's still at the level of being a small
useful component more than a full-fledged shell, but having it in our
'lab', with the contributions of the rest of the team, might help it
grow quickly.  Nicolas has made a fantastic start here, and I'd really
like to see this kind of tool be available (for those who want OpenGL)
out of the box with the project.

Opinions?

Nicolas, if this is to move forward, I just saw that your code is GPL
licensed so far.  IPython is all BSD, so I don't know if you'd be
willing to relicense it for inclusion in IPython.