[IPython-dev] Tag and branch 0.10 soon?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Apr 23 01:42:30 CDT 2009

Howdy,

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:47:13PM -0700, Brian Granger wrote:
>> Great and many thanks.  It looks like we have some significant
>> problems with our test suite that are going to take a few days to
>> resolve anyways.
>
> I am happy you guys are tackling these issues. I remember running into
> them when trying to test the hacky 'PrefilterFrontEnd', which combines
> IPython0 and IPython1. It was not a pleasant experience.

Yup.  In fact, right now in the 'bugfix' branch, it turns out that
I've finally understood that the things you did are precisely what's
causing a raft of bizarre errors :)  But note that I'm *not* faulting
you: the hacks you have in there were unfortunately necessary, given
the similarity of IPython's internals to the hairballs my cat has been
puking now that the weather is  warming up and she's shedding fur...

> For what it's worth, in Mayavi, due to side effect with nose, we ended up
> having a test suite runner, that calls several instances of nose (using
> "mayavi2 -t", in the latest release, which is very convenient to instruct
> new users on how to test.

Yup, I'm on the same exact path now.  I'm going to bed now, but I hope
to report progress on this tomorrow.  I think I have all the pieces,
either on my box or in my head.  As long as I can get a few hours of
uninterrupted  work in tomorrow, we might have something up and
running (we have to also factor Twisted into the picture,  but overall
I think we'll  be fine).

Stay tuned...