[IPython-dev] Fwd: [TIP] py.test 1.0 release / remarks

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Tue Aug 4 22:19:02 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Fernando Perez<fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Gael
> Varoquaux<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
>>
>> Well, with the discover module going in the standard library, I have been
>> wondering if we could do with only the standard library. Most of what
>> nose adds to test discovery (and nice assertion) has prooved to be too
>> much magic, and has bitten me in the past.
>
> I'd certainly *love* to ditch third-party dependencies for something
> as basic as testing.  We'll have to wait still a while to see where
> that goes, but I do think that flexible, robust, full testing should
> be part of the stdlib, and I see the current need for third-party
> tools like nose or py.test as a serious deficiency.
>
> I recently wrote up my personal  list of  'warts' in python for
> scientific computing work,  and this very problem was right there:
>
> https://cirl.berkeley.edu/fperez/py4science/warts.html
>
> So here's to hoping that they solve it :)

Nice list. This is what I like the most on your page:

Research: coming...

Haha. :) So maybe you can put in the warts list: Python is so
addictive, that one gets no real research done. :)

Ondrej