[IPython-dev] possible cpaste bug

John Hunter jdh2358@gmail....
Mon Aug 10 18:28:32 CDT 2009

I just learned about cpaste today watching a showmedo video, and it
looks great.  Of course, I torture tested it with a complex example,
and it appears to fail on my system.  I don't know if cpaste is
expected to supoprt the full range of files you can "run" in ipython,
but here is one that failed for me:

In [7]: IPython.__version__
Out[7]: '0.11.bzr.r1205'

I can wget it and run it fine

In [10]: !wget http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/plot_directive/mpl_examples/api/radar_chart.py
--18:27:10--  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/plot_directive/mpl_examples/api/radar_chart.py
           => `radar_chart.py'
Resolving matplotlib.sourceforge.net... 216.34.181.96
Connecting to matplotlib.sourceforge.net|216.34.181.96|:80... connected.
Length: 6,539 (6.4K) [text/plain]

18:27:10 (299.77 KB/s) - `radar_chart.py' saved [6539/6539]

In [11]: run radar_chart.py

but when I try and select it and paste it into ipython on OSX, I have problems

I was hoping cpaste would support more than the standard paste into an
ipython shell, eg the requirements of blank lines following indented
regions, etc, but maybe I am pushing it too hard.  Is there some
reason why cpaste  doesn't accept anything that "run" does?