[IPython-dev] possible cpaste bug

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Aug 10 23:39:30 CDT 2009

On 2009-08-10 19:28, John Hunter wrote:
> I just learned about cpaste today watching a showmedo video, and it
> looks great.  Of course, I torture tested it with a complex example,
> and it appears to fail on my system.  I don't know if cpaste is
> expected to supoprt the full range of files you can "run" in ipython,
> but here is one that failed for me:
>
> In [7]: IPython.__version__
> Out[7]: '0.11.bzr.r1205'
>
> I can wget it and run it fine
>
> In [10]: !wget http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/plot_directive/mpl_examples/api/radar_chart.py
> --18:27:10--  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/plot_directive/mpl_examples/api/radar_chart.py
>             =>  `radar_chart.py'
> Resolving matplotlib.sourceforge.net... 216.34.181.96
> Connecting to matplotlib.sourceforge.net|216.34.181.96|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 6,539 (6.4K) [text/plain]
>
> 100%[====================================>] 6,539         --.--K/s
>
> 18:27:10 (299.77 KB/s) - `radar_chart.py' saved [6539/6539]
>

> In [11]: run radar_chart.py
>
> but when I try and select it and paste it into ipython on OSX, I have problems
>
> I was hoping cpaste would support more than the standard paste into an
> ipython shell, eg the requirements of blank lines following indented
> regions, etc, but maybe I am pushing it too hard.  Is there some
> reason why cpaste  doesn't accept anything that "run" does?

Are you sure that the correct text got fully pasted? I have had problems pasting
moderate amounts of text, a couple of screenfuls, into a terminal on OS X,
particularly with iTerm but also I think with Terminal.app. Some lines go
missing or get repeated. The problem occurs with any program, not just IPython.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco