[IPython-dev] possible cpaste bug

John Hunter jdh2358@gmail....
Tue Aug 11 19:24:43 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 1:51 AM, Fernando Perez<fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> John, could you try using xterm on the mac as well? I think the X11
> app ships with a plain old xterm, that could show a similar pattern to
> what I'm seeing on linux.

I tried to try on xterm, but goddam osx and xterms do not play nicely
together.  I could not paste from the desktop environment to the x11
environment since my buffer was not recognized, so I tried to cat the
example in one xterm to paste it into another but could not get the
whole thing on one screen and could not get the window to scroll as I
moved the mouse past the top.  I'm sure there is a way to do this
(Robert 3..2..1..) but I don't know how so I punted.  I am pretty sure
Robert's explanation is correct, though it is a major wart to simply
drop the input to the term, which appears to be what os x is doing,
IMO.

"paste" did work, so that is cool (thanks Robert!)  But for
tutorial/demo purposes, which is what is on my mind of late, the
screen echo is nice, kind of a "nothing up my sleaves" feeling, that
the paste with no echo does not have.  Could we do a paste -e (echo)
or -v (verbose) and ask paste to echo the paste to the stdout, even if
only for visual effect (and during the tutorial its nice to point to
the code in the terminal)

JDH