[IPython-dev] Should IPython be a singleton?
Wed Aug 26 16:36:39 CDT 2009
Currently, IPython is not a singleton, but effectively it is. We do a
number of things that essentially prevent
multiple InteractiveShells from being created:
1. We muck with sys.excepthook, sys.displayhook, sys.ipcompleter,
2. We push a number of thing into __builtin__ that point to the specific
3. Because of severe cycles in our object graph, an InterativeShell
instances can't be
So, should we actually make InteractiveShell a singleton? There are a
couple of different
1. One InteractiveShell per process - a true singleton.
2. One InteractiveShell at a time, but multiple (serial) ones in a process.
3. Multiple, sumultanous InteractiveShells
The only subtlety is that some level of nesting is possible.
Just a note: it will take a lot of refactoring to really implement any of
the above options.
But, I want to know what we are aiming for as this issue affects many design
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the IPython-dev