[IPython-dev] Ipython 0.10 pygtk main loop

Michele Mattioni mattions@gmail....
Mon Dec 7 09:52:24 CST 2009

Hello Ipython developers,

I've upgraded from ubuntu jaunty to ubuntu karmic some days ago and now I
can't use ipython anymore as I used to do before.

The version I was using before was 0.9.1, what is shipped with karmic is
0.10.

I wrote a program which use PyGTK[1] and Visual Python[2] and Ipython.

Ipython is not Embedded but it's used as console to work with (a la pylab).

I need to start the program in an interactive loop, and have the prompt back
ready to process user input.

With the 0.9.1 version I used to achieve this behaviour starting the console
with the -pylab options, and I was using GTKAgg as my backend. With this
version I was able to start to start the program, have the visual window
displayed and working and the ipython prompt ready for other input.

I think the problem is a thread issue. In my program it was possible to
start a visual window clicking on a gtk button. Now I can't achieve this
anymore.

What has changed ?

Is Ipython, PyGTK or both?

I've attached a code example.