[IPython-dev] bzr, whoami and email hiding

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Feb 1 15:40:25 CST 2009

Hi Laurent,

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Laurent Dufréchou
<laurent.dufrechou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Reading fernando last link i've seen that :
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> The importance of bzr whoami
> One of the really important things that lots of people forget is to start
> off with is setting your name is Bazaar. This can be done really easily by
> doing bzr whoami "Your Name <email@example.com>" It's important that you set
> this properly, or your revisions aren't going to get your name on them. The
> email address you set here also needs to be an email that Launchpad knows
> about (a confirmed address). This way, you get the karma for the revisions,
> and revision listings in a branch page will link back to your profile.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> It is said that I need to give a true email address,(the one given to
> launchpad in fact). But is it sure the email address will be hidden from
> launchpad site? I mean will it be written in clear text to anybody going to
> launchpad (and also robots...)?
>
> Thx for any comments on this!

As far as I can see, launchpad hides email addresses for all
logged-out users.  If I check your user page:

https://launchpad.net/~laurent-dufrechou

from a firefox session where I've logged out, it won't show it to me,
but my logged-in session does show it.  So I suppose that if someone
writes a spam spider that uses a fake account and scrapes the user
pages, it's in principle possible to get those addresses, but they do
not appear to 'normal' robots.