[IPython-dev] Useful posts on launchpad/bzr use

Darren Dale dsdale24@gmail....
Mon Feb 2 11:39:35 CST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Darren Dale <dsdale24@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for pointing these out, this was really useful information. I
> ended
> > up signing up for the rss feed.
> >
> > I spent the morning setting things up like he discussed in advanced
> > concepts. Here is my .bazaar/locations.conf, which allows you to
> integrate
> > the ideas he talked about in "making pushing easy"  with the layout in
> > advanced concepts:
> >
> > [/home/darren/Projects/repos]
> > push_location = lp:~dsdale24/
> > push_location:policy = appendpath
> > public_branch = lp:~dsdale24/
> > public_branch:policy = appendpath
> >
> > [/home/darren/Projects]
> > cbranch_target = /home/darren/Projects/repos
> > cbranch_target:policy = appendpath
>
> I read his posts but haven't changed my setup yet, partly because my
> typical layout is a little different.  I tend to have repos on  a
> per-project directory rather than a global one, but I could easily (I
> think) use those ideas with my layout, just by having several
> repo/cbranch entries.
>
> My question to you is: do you see any downside of using that split
> between repos and checkouts at all?  I like that separation between
> the repo storage and the working trees, but before I change things on
> my laptop, I'd like to think through any possible disadvantages.

I like this layout, and my experience so far has been trouble-free. I
switched to this layout for the two projects I have under bzr/lp revision
control, on my laptop yesterday and on my office computer this morning. I
havent seen any disadvantages yet, and it was really simple to set up the
split layout. If you have reservations, maybe you could try backing up and
splitting just one of your project directories. I might follow your lead and
make a repository for each project at some point.

Darren