[IPython-dev] looking for advice on a custom dict-like completer

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Feb 4 11:41:09 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Darren Dale <dsdale24@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with this package, what is it, like a staging area or a
> home for code with licenses that are incompatible with BSD? I'll release
> these under the python or bsd license, but I would prefer to wait a couple
> days on the h5py completer to continue testing it. This morning I added a
> feature at the h5py author's request, hw is considering including it in his
> next release. The dict completer still needs some work, it punts when you
> try to item-complete a dictionary containing keys that are not strings.

There is a description at:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipython-extensions/0.2

I like to think of it as a place to put extensions that are not
coupled to ipython release cycle - think of it as 'contrib' folder.
In addition to allowing independent release cycle, it can be faster to
put stuff 'in-development' extensions there, since there are no
centralized quality requirements (no unit tests needed) - code is
released "with the hope that it will be useful".

It's also easier to tell users to pull a new version
ipython-extensions than to ask them to upgrade their ipython
installation (which may come from their linux distribution).

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio