[IPython-dev] looking for advice on a custom dict-like completer

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Feb 6 02:10:00 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like to think of it as a place to put extensions that are not
> coupled to ipython release cycle - think of it as 'contrib' folder.
> In addition to allowing independent release cycle, it can be faster to
> put stuff 'in-development' extensions there, since there are no
> centralized quality requirements (no unit tests needed) - code is
> released "with the hope that it will be useful".
>
> It's also easier to tell users to pull a new version
> ipython-extensions than to ask them to upgrade their ipython
> installation (which may come from their linux distribution).

It's worth noting that if Darren is willing to add tests/docs for it,
I'd be happy to have it in ipython proper.  But we are trying to be
serious about not committing any code without docs and tests into the
core, so in the end it's your choice, Darren, of where to send it.