[IPython-dev] Status of IPython+GUI+Threads+PyOS_InputHook

Sat Feb 7 11:11:33 CST 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:00:39AM -0800, Brian Granger wrote:
> 1. The IPython Core and any GUI event loop must be run in the same
> thread and that thread must be the main thread if IPython is to offer
> interactive GUI support.

Correct.

> 2. PyOS_InputHook allows a function to be registered that will be
> called periodically (by readline) while input is being entered at the
> command line. This opens the door for GUI event loops to continue
> running while a command line IPython is waiting for input. This is
> only relevant for terminal based IPython shells though.  From what I
> can tell, only Tk and recent releases of GTK and Qt4 support this
> though.

> Does Wx support this?

I don't know.

> If not, can we implement this ourselves?

Don't know either.

> In other words: can we get rid of the messy threading code in
> IPython?!!! (please say yes)

It would be really great. A common case of crashing for me is
tab-completing on a object with a property, and this property making a
call in the event loop.

I am not sure I can help you, however :(.

Gaël