[IPython-dev] Status of IPython+GUI+Threads+PyOS_InputHook

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Sat Feb 7 11:58:32 CST 2009

>> If not, can we implement this ourselves?
>
> See above ;-).

I don't see where "above" you talk about this.  For what it is worth,
here is what I tried:

>>> import readline
>>> import ctypes
>>> ctypes.pythonapi.PyOS_InputHook
<_FuncPtr object at 0x76420>
>>> def my_callback():
...   print "In am here"
...   return 0
>>> cbf = ctypes.CFUNCTYPE(ctypes.c_int)(my_callback)
>>> cbf
<CFunctionType object at 0x769d0>
>>> ctypes.pythonapi.PyOS_InputHook = cbf

If I understand the python source code correctly, readline should now
be calling my callback, but it doesn't seem to.  Am I misunderstanding
how this works?  It doesn't sound like wx has current support for
PyOS_InputHook, but if we could implement it ourselves using ctypes,
that would solve the problem.

>> work.  Has anyone figured this out? Is PyOS_InputHook relevent for
>> non-teminal based IPython frontends?
>
> It's not relevant at all. Since you control the event loop, there is
> no "input blocking", so the hack that PyOS_InputHook is can be
> ignored.

OK ,at least I am thinking about this correctly.  So, if we had GUI
based IPython's only, we would *never* have to worry about this :-)

>> In other words: can we get rid of the messy threading code in
>> IPython?!!! (please say yes)
>
> Definitely yes, we can (and it's long overdue).

Great!

>> 3. SIgnals.  I know that one of the most subtle aspect of IPython is
>> getting signals working in the multithreaded shells.  How does this
>> change if we move to using PyOS_InputHook rather than our current GUI
>> shells?
>
> We just have to disable the crash handler, the event loop typically
> deals with ctrl+C itself.

Again, sounds good.

>> 4. There is an IPython commit by Darren Dale saying that the
>> PyOS_InputHook approach wasn't working fully, so it was disabled.  Did
>> we get to the bottom of this?
>
> Wasn't it about pdb?

I hope not.

Brian