[IPython-dev] Status of IPython+GUI+Threads+PyOS_InputHook

Sat Feb 7 12:04:10 CST 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 10:00:17AM -0800, Brian Granger wrote:
> > It would be really great. A common case of crashing for me is
> > tab-completing on a object with a property, and this property making a
> > call in the event loop.

> Does this happen in a terminal based ipython -wthread setting or in
> your wx ipython GUI?

In a terminal-based "ipython -wthread"

> If it happens in your wx GUI, can you clarify how you are using
> threads, etc?  The reason that I ask is that you should be able to get
> away with not using threads.

I am not using any thread in the wx GUI. This was a very important design
choice, IMHO. I am fiddling a lot with the mainloop to keep as much a
possible the terminal reactive when a computation is going on, but there
are no threads (except when a subprocess is used, but I was very careful
to make them play well with the mainloop).

Gaël