[IPython-dev] Status of IPython+GUI+Threads+PyOS_InputHook

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Sat Feb 7 12:58:03 CST 2009

>> If I understand the python source code correctly, readline should now
>> be calling my callback, but it doesn't seem to.  Am I misunderstanding
>
> Perhaps trying to change the value of static C variable may be a bit
> much for ctypes?

That is my thought.

> If so, perhaps a python extension whose sole purpose would be the
> ability to set the input hook would be in order. Perhaps one of the
> "ipython-friendly" projects (numpy?) that have C side stuff could
> sneak it into their next release.. ;-).

Or we could simply create a simple Cython extension to do this.  I
will give this a shot next.

> Though really, wx should get it for free with new gtk in the future,
> and for windows wx it should be just a matter of contributing a patch.

Here's for hoping that we just get it for free.  But, the big thing is
that this overall approach is *very* worth our pursuing, even if it
means we contribute some upstream patches.