[IPython-dev] Status of IPython+GUI+Threads+PyOS_InputHook

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Sun Feb 8 14:15:53 CST 2009

Gael,

Wow, thanks for taking the time to give us all the details of the
issues you ran into.  This is *super* helpful as we think about how to
move forward with refactoring the core to better support usage cases
like this.

At the same time, this type of thing will keep me up at night.  Our
core problem right now with the IPython core is that it is welded and
duct taped to the terminal and readline, making it difficult to use
outside of that setting.  The things you have done to get this working
(in my mind) are simply welding the Core to wx.  If we have to do
things like this for each GUI toolkit, we are back to having a core
that is non-reusable and difficult to maintain, test, extend, debug,
etc.  To make matters worse, these types of hacks are notoriously
fragile.

The killer though is that, at the end of the day, if a user runs a
long computation (let's say a big PyMC computation for example), the
entire GUI will become unresponsive.  To me, the above hacks seems
like an awful lot of work to get a solution that is still
sub-standard.

I think all of us have a vision that
IPython/numpy/scipy/matplotlib/sympy/ets/etc will allow us to build
scientific computing environments that blow the doors off of
Mathematica, Matlab, Maple, IDL, etc.  However, if our software always
has to be explained with "oh, that, yeh, when you run that type of
code, the GUI will freeze," we will never reach that goal.

So, let's try to figure out a real solution to these problems that
isn't crippled and let's us write robust, reusable and hackable code.