[IPython-dev] Interactive wx/pylab with no threads (PyOS_InputHook)

Mon Feb 9 00:00:18 CST 2009

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 08:49:07PM -0800, Barry Wark wrote:
> I appologize for getting to the discussion late... There have been
> several very interesting threads in the last couple of days. I'm
> replying to this one arbitrarily, am intending to write more detailed
> general idea out there...

> > From my reading, it seems that Brian is well on his way to having a
> > threading-free core for Qt and GTK. With the awesome new (in a recent
> > version, I forget which) OS X backend for matplotlib and the existing
> > ability of  Twisted's _threadedselect reactor to work with OS X's
> > CFRunLoop via PyObjC (it uses a very similar mechanism to the
> > PyOS_InputHook, no?), I suspect that a similar approach will work with
> > OS X as well. I know this may sound heretical to some, but if
> > supporting Wx GUI loops natively requires compromising the hackability
> > and testability of the IPython core, do we *need* to support it?

All the libraries I use, I use them through Wx GUI loops. And it is the
case of most people under Windows (I am under Linux). The reason behind
both statement is that Wx has been historically the easy way to have a
powerful GUI shared between major operating systems. Maybe Qt is the way
forward now, but it is not yet established. The problem with Wx
(recursive Yeilds) comes from the fact that it supports different event
loop with different semantics on different platforms, so it comes from
that richness.

Wx is the toolkit where you will find the largest amount of mature
contributions. I know that matplotlib has a variety of different toolkit
support, but matplotlib is an exemption.

Do we need wx support? I guess not, but I would be jumping ship, and many
people would.

Gaël