[IPython-dev] IPython proposal: getting rid of "ipython -pylab\-wthread\etc."
Thu Jul 16 12:04:33 CDT 2009
[sent to mpl-dev, enthought-dev and ipython-dev]
This summer, we are doing some major refactoring of IPython's core. One of
the things I am working on is changing how IPython's works with GUI
toolkits. These changes will have a significant impact (hopefully for the
better) on your project, so I wanted to open a discussion about this issue.
Here is the current situation: currently, IPython uses threads to allow GUI
event loops. This code lives in IPython.Shell and is extremely subtle, hard
to maintain and fragile. Fernando and John Hunter have done a fantastic job
in developing this code, but in the long run we need a more robust approach.
Here is the proposal: Python has an obscure hook called PyOS_InputHook. By
using this hook, GUI toolkits can interleave their event loop with a command
line program *without threads*. Even though PyOS_InputHook is not well
known, this is how Python's built-in integration with Tk works. The good
news is that other GUI toolkits are starting to support PyOS_InputHook:
* PyGTK 2.15.1 has this.
* The mpl MacOSX backend works this way
* Recent versions of PyQT 4 have this.
* I am working with Robin Dunn to implement this in wxPython 2.8 and 2.9
Bottom line: once people are using these recent/upcoming versions of the GUI
toolkits, IPython will no longer need to maintain the code in Shell.py and
IPython won't need to have -pylab/-wthread/etc options.
So, how does affect your project?
* People will be able to use your project interactive from the regular
* You will need to make small changes to your GUI toolkits initialization
* All of us will need to coordinate version transitions to make sure that
there is a clean transition to this new approach.
* I need help testing the new approach (especially with wxPython) to make
sure that your project actually works with the new approach.
What needs to be done at this point?
* I would like to discuss how the transition should be made in terms of
* I need help testing this new approach in the various toolkits - especially
* I want to see if there are other issues related to this that I am missing.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the IPython-dev