[IPython-dev] [matplotlib-devel] IPython proposal: getting rid of "ipython -pylab\-wthread\etc."

Michael Droettboom mdroe@stsci....
Thu Jul 16 12:31:57 CDT 2009

This is a great project and I'm sure we're all looking forward to having
"just one way to do it".

However, do not overestimate how up-to-date these packages will be,
particularly in managed environments.  For instance the RHEL4 boxes we
run at my employer still have pygtk 2.4.  (Yes, that is 4 years old!)
It would be unfortunate if our users couldn't update matplotlib without
the pain of recompiling a large part of the gtk stack underneath.

So just a plea to keep the old code paths working -- perhaps surrounded
in big flashing "REMOVE ME LATER" comments.  I understand that
maintaining code that fewer and fewer users will be running is like a
time bomb.  Maybe we could raise a deprecation warning if a user has an
old version of a toolkit, so at least when the bomb finally goes off the
user has a first guess as to why.  But I think dropping all support for
these older versions in one step would be a mistake.

Cheers,
Mike