[IPython-dev] how to contribute to ipython

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Thu Jul 16 13:06:43 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Ondrej Certik<ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:

> Ok, so I will keep committing. But here is a real problem. I commitetd
> with an email address ondrej@crow by a mistake and I would like to use
> my real address, before you merge it in. In other words, I need to fix
> last two commits. How can I do that?

If you don't mind some low-tech legwork, you can do a new branch and
get your changes there by bzr diff + standard 'patch' app.

> I'll comment to these later, after I really learn bazaar. Now only let
> me say, that you can work with git exactly the same way as with
> bazaar, e.g. just do:
>
> git clone git://git.sympy.org/sympy.git
>
> totally forget about git branches and just work with directories, e.g:
>
> cd /tmp
> git clone ~/repos/sympy
>
> etc. Then commit using "git ci" etc. And if you want to merge, just
> use "git pull ~/repos/sympy master"   (yes, that's the only
> difference, that you tell git which branch to pull from, e.g.
> "master", since you don't use any other git branches)

The problem with git is not really with the possibly workflows (git
has it all), it's the general "user friendliness" of the
implementation/ui. It's very easy to reach a "what the hell happened"
situation accompanied by cryptic error messages and general discomfort
about whether your data is safe or not. If you are using a
merge-driven (as opposed rebase-driven) workflow anyway, using a tool
that supports that well and still has an easy-to-understand user
interface seems like a sensible thing to do.

It also helps if the tool has a degree of familiarity with the command
names, instead of introducing totally different commands ("hg revert"
/ "bzr revert" / "git reset --hard").

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio