[IPython-dev] how to contribute to ipython

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Thu Jul 16 15:27:45 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Ondrej Certik<ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Ville M. Vainio<vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Ondrej Certik<ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, so I will keep committing. But here is a real problem. I commitetd
>>> with an email address ondrej@crow by a mistake and I would like to use
>>> my real address, before you merge it in. In other words, I need to fix
>>> last two commits. How can I do that?
>>
>> If you don't mind some low-tech legwork, you can do a new branch and
>> get your changes there by bzr diff + standard 'patch' app.
>
> Well, what are my options?
>
> 1) have ondrej@crow in the ipython history
> 2) use the old good patch app.
>
> Well, I do want to fix my email address. Imagine I noticed after
> committing ~20 patches. I would not be happy to rework everything
> using "patch". For comparison, with git, I would do:
>
> git rebase -i HEAD~20      # assuming I have 20 patches to fix
> # vim fires up, I change "e" next to each patch I want to edit and then
> git --amend --author="Ondrej Certik <my correct email address>"
> git rebase --continue
> # repeat the last two commands 20 times
>
> and I am done. Let me search the internet, there must be some better
> way than to do a new branch and rework everything from scratch.

Ok, so there is a better way.

First I did "bzr whoami <correct name+email>" and this fixes the email
in the last commit:

bzr uncommit
bzr commit -m "set_trace() moved from __init__.py to ipapi.py"

Yes, I have to recommit the log (git allow you to reuse the log of the
old, deleted, commit), but it's already a big step forward.

However, now I have this problem:

$ bzr push
Using saved push location:
bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/ipython/set_trace/
bzr: ERROR: These branches have diverged.  Try using "merge" and then "push".1

I just changed my email. Git has "git push -f", which rewrites the
remote branch. Ok, let me dig some more into this.

Ondrej