[IPython-dev] [Enthought-Dev] Ctypes based prototype of PyOS_InputHook for wx 2.8 and 2.9

Robert Kern rkern@enthought....
Thu Jul 16 17:42:09 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 17:26, Brian Granger<ellisonbg.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am attaching a working ctypes based prototype of a module that allows wx
> to be used interactively from *both* python and ipython.  It uses
> PyOS_InputHook and has been tested on wx 2.8 and 2.9 (trunk) on Mac OS X
> (python 2.5).
>
> It can be used with an existing wx install and all versions of ipython, but
> ***don't use the -pylab or -wthread flag***.  At this point, I need help
> testing the heck out of this (window and linux users esp).  I have run most
> matplotlib pylab_examples and they work fine.  I also need people to try out
> things like ETS/Mayavi.  The current plan is to replace the existing
> threaded shells in IPython with this (much simpler) code.

Works for me with wx 2.8.8.1 on OS X 10.5 and Chaco. Pan and zoom
interactions are substantially chunky, though. I do not see such
chunkiness with -wthread. It would be worth exploring a Cython
alternative to see if it is just ctypes and general Python overhead to
blame.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."